Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taking Another Shot at TBT (5th Time)

I missed a monster trading opportunity on TBT today.  I've been making a bull case for TBT for a long time, but missed it this time after making money 3 out of last 4 times we traded it.  I have been waiting to get any sort of profit taking to get back in, but I am not sure the market wants to give me one. 


First, a quick snapshot.  Even though, TBT is a long way from fully breaking out of its recent trading range (47-50), the volume is telling me the breakout is imminent.  Call volume is 55K vs. daily average of 18K and 55% bought on the offer.  The largest trade was 6000 June $55 calls bought above offer price at $0.29.  They're now going for $0.40.  


Share volume is the highest in 52-week period.  


Given the fast run up today, I am going a bit far in the future and doing the following bullish risk reversal:


- Buy to open June $45 puts
- Sell to open June $47 puts, for net credit of $0.55


Use the proceeds from above bull put spread to:


- Buy to open June $54 calls for $0.53 debit


The whole trade is done for $0.02 net credit.  The break even on the downside is $47 which is the support area that I expect to hold.  $47 also coincides with 3.60% yield on 10-year.  The upside profit potential is unlimited.  I like the odds.  


Good luck!