Monday, April 19, 2010

Housekeeping: Apple (AAPL)

Currently, we own July/May $250 call calendar and long May $230 puts.  May puts were originally bought as May/April $230 put calendar as a hedge after the iPad announcement.  I am making the following adjustment to our hedge:


- Sell to close May $230 puts for $3.45 credit


- Buy to open June $230 puts
- Sell to open May $230 puts, for $2.25 debit


In other words, I just converted long front month May out-of-money puts (which had significant loss potential due to Theta decay and reduction in IV after earnings) to long June/May calendar for $1.20 credit.  Now Theta decay has turned in my favor and I am significantly less concerned about IV collapse.  


Please note, I wanted to convert the hedge for net credit, that's why I chose June vs. July.  


Overall, now the portfolio holds July/May $250 call calendar and June/May $230 put calendar.  


Good luck!