Thursday, April 8, 2010

Goldman Sachs (GS) Breaking Out

This best of the breed bank is finally breaking out above $180 which has been the resistance since mid-Nov 2009.  I think this new leg up from here could easily take the stock to retest previous 52-week high of $193.  Despite recent quick run from $170 to $180 in a matter of just few days, GS has underperformed the rest of components in XLF.  I think thats about to change.


Normally, I like to play breakouts with call spreads.  But given my neutral-to-bearish stance on general markets, I want to set this similar to AAPL, V and MEE, so I have Theta decay on my side.  


- Buy to open July $190 call
- Sell to open May $190 call


I just filled the order for $2.75.  I tried for the mark at $2.70, but couldn't get through.  Notice that earlier I did MEE calendar with short April options and here I am doing GS calendar with short May options.  The reason is MEE is nearing rising support line, so I see limited downside risk and thus not so concerned about Gamma.  But GS has been rising here and is well above $168 support.  Here I am more concerned about Gamma risk so I want to go straight to May short calls to protect myself if there is a pull back.  


Good luck!