Friday, February 5, 2010

Taking Another Shot at Shorting US Treasuries (TBT)

Back in January (see the archives) we made good money on TBT trade.  The timing was perfect.  I think now is the time to get back in again as investors are flocking to Treasury bonds in fear.  





The yield on 10-year note has fallen from 3.85% to 3.55% as fear has ramped up (check out VIX). I think now it is time to bet the other way. Morgan Stanley believes that by the end of 2010, yields on 10-year note will rise to 4.5% and I fully agree. 

Attached is a daily chart of TLT which tracks US 20-year bond performance. It is now almost at the resistance.  I think it will start stalling out here.  TBT is 2x inverse of TLT. I like to play long TBT with the following calendar spread:

- Buy to open March $47 call
- Sell to open March $50 call

The call spread is going for $0.88 as I write this.  I should also mention that approx $80 billion worth of short and long term Treasuries are set to be auctioned next week and any one of them could have the potential to move TBT higher.  

Good luck!